mardi 4 novembre 2014

Book review- Salem's Lot by Stephen King

I have no words to say how much I hated this book. Or maybe hate is precisely the right word since I only ever used this for 2 books, including this one. It's not a word I use lightly. First off, the book is presented as a haunted house story, which is not what this is- at all. Kind of dissapointing to find out you are reading a vampire book when you wanted ghosts and creaking floor boards. But that's not the biggest problem, the biggest problem is that it's long and endless. The story drags on forever and ever. Of course, I am not saying that this book's problem is it's lenght. Some books can be very long in terms of pages but still very good. No...The problem is when there is a lot of pages for something that could've been a 150 pages short story or novella, which is precisely the case here. Another thing is the scare factor. This is Stephen King. This is an horror novel. If you pick this up in a library or a book store, chances are you are looking for something that will scare you, at least a tiny bit. Sadly, I doubt this book will scare you. It's all, of course, a question of point of view and of what scares you, but let me tell you that this book did not scared me at all. Not the tiniest bit. I wish it had, but it didn't, and this book just confirmed my opinion that Stephen King is a very overrated horror. I am of course, not saying that none of his work his good, as I can't say this without reading all of his books, which  Salem's Lot did not make me want to do. Nope. But, when you ask people which scary book they should read, they will tend to answer something by Stephen King, and my opinion, as an horror fan, is that there is a lot of scarier books out there that deserve some light. Another low point is that there is way too much characters in this book. When there is so many characters that the reader gets losts and can't remember who M.Thing is, there is a problem, and that is the case here. However, this book had some higher points that are worth taking note of. First off, there is something interresting about how the story stretches through different times. Also, some little adventures that happen to a couple of the characters are very good, and will stay with the reader.

Finally, I would like to insist on the fact that the book cover is a total misrepresentation, as it really makes this book look like one about haunted houses. But if you are looking for a haunted house story, this is not what you are in for.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire